Opera and slavery in the French Caribbean, 1760-90
Location: nationwide (online)
Type: Other Projects
Casting (online) a workshop preparatory to the future production of an opera to be performed in Europe and possibly world-wide in 2020-21.
The workshop in Venice, Italy (Feb. 18-23, 2019) will be held by the celebrated singer Vivica Genaux and the music director Pedro Memelsdorff, and will focus on the career of the first title-role singer of colour, granddaughter of a freed slave in the French Caribbean, in the late 18th century.
Musicians chosen to participate in the workshop (= Fellows) will be granted a scholarship which covers the following expenses: enrollment fee, lodging (in the beautiful residence of the Fondazione Giorgio Cini, Venice, Italy), half board (breakfast and lunch), travel to Venice, Italy (in economy class, up to EUR 700 for intercontinental flights, always to be agreed with the secretariat of the workshop).
The Fellows will be coached by Vivica Genaux and Pedro Memelsdorff and at the end of the workshop they will perform a public concert (ca. 45 minutes), after which they will be offered a dinner with the coaches.
We are looking for:
– young mixed race (African-Caucasian) solo high coloratura sopranos (max. 30 ys. old),
– young baroque and/or classical traverso players of African descent or African-Caucasian (max. 40 ys. old),
and, more generally,
– young solo singers of all tessituras (very welcome haute-contres, tenors, sopranos and bass-baritones), max. 30 ys. old.
All of the singers should have good French pronunciation and theatrical qualities.
After the workshop, outstanding fellows will be contacted for the further stages of the production (opera to be played in 2020-21).
To apply, send to firstname.lastname@example.org by Dec. 16th, 2018:
– a detailed CV;
– copy of your ID document;
– links to video recordings of two solo pieces belonging to Baroque or Gallant repertoires, one of which in French language (possibly uploaded on an easily accessible platform).
Please, feel free to contact email@example.com if you have any inquiry.
City or Location of call: nationwide (online)
Please submit to: firstname.lastname@example.org
This casting notice was posted by: Opera and slavery in the French Caribbean, 1760-90